Julia (Woodson) Newbury
WHY I BECAME A THERAPIST
We all stumble on times when life is difficult, and sometimes we can feel overwhelmed, misunderstood, and alone. I offer a safe space for people to speak their truth, and help them wrestle with their past, grow into the healthy and fully functioning person they want to be.
I BECAME A THERAPIST TO GIVE PEOPLE A SAFE SPACE TO WORK ON THEMSELVES.
Therapy is a collaborative place for growth, healing and hope. When I work with clients, I hold space and gently guide them as they process and heal what they’ve been struggling with.
Therapy is a collaborative process between client and therapist, so you and I will partner together to figure out what changes will best serve you and the life you want to live. In our work together, I can help you identify your strengths, develop skills to cope with challenges, and work to accomplish the goals you set for yourself.
When I work with clients, I incorporate THREE THINGS to create positive change:
collaboration | growth | hope
I believe that everyone has the capacity to live a meaningful and joyful life if given the space to reflect and heal in a supportive environment. I also believe it’s important to hold space for things like vulnerability, courage, and shame, and integrate Brene Brown’s research in my work with clients, utilizing techniques and strategies to help individuals integrate it into their personal and professional lives.
WHO I WORK WITH
My area of expertise is working closely with teens and families to build problem-solving strategies to help them make progress toward their goals.
WHAT IF I'M SCARED TO START THERAPY?
A LITTLE ABOUT ME & MY PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
- I completed my graduate degree in Social Work with an emphasis in Family and Children from Asbury University.
- I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
- I have 8+ years of experience working with children and teens.
- I am working towards becoming a Certified Child and Adolescent Trauma Professional (CATP)
- I am a Certified Clinical Anxiety Treatment Professional (CCATP)
- I have completed a 27.5 hour Living Brave course by Dr. Brené Brown focusing on Vulnerability, Courage, Shame, and Empathy.
Loves to travel
Enjoys working out
Has two standard poodles who love the beach